Introducing Fisher More College: A Truly Traditional Catholic Education

Introducing Fisher More College: A Truly Traditional Catholic Education

The following post is by Jason Fabaz of Fisher More College:

“The proper and immediate end of Christian education is to cooperate with divine grace in forming the true and perfect Christian…” – Pope Pius XI, Divini Illius Magistri

“There are three things which we desire all the Fellows of this College to care for above all things, namely, the worship of God, the increase of the faith, and the probity of morals.” (From the Statutes of St. John’s College, Cambridge University, England, written by St. John Fisher, Chancellor, 1516)

At Fisher More College we have been long-time followers of Rorate Caeli and applaud the contributors for their great work!  What unites almost everyone who posts here is a love for the Traditional Mass and the Traditional Doctrines of Holy Mother Church.  With that in view, we would like to share with you a little about a College that is completely committed to promoting the Traditional Mass, Traditional Doctrines and Traditional Catholic Formation and Education.

We’d like to present to you America’s only fully-accredited 4-year Catholic College that proclaims fidelity to the Traditional Latin Mass as essential towards achieving its mission: The College of Sts. John Fisher & Thomas More (Fisher More College).

Our Goal is that every Traditional Catholic, regardless of where they attend the Traditional Latin Mass (Fraternity, Institute, Society, Diocesan sponsored, etc.) will learn about Fisher More College and recognize that we are a Catholic College that lives by the motto: Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi, Lex Vivendi (as we pray, so we believe, so we live) which we have adopted as Our Statement of Principles:

Lex Orandi: We pray the Traditional Latin Mass and the associated rich Sacred Liturgy that has been passed down to us through the ages. We are certain that fidelity to the Usus Antiquior is essential to achieving our mission.

Lex Credendi: We believe in the Holy Catholic Church, Her teachings, and Her traditions. We hold that this belief has been the greatest source of enrichment of faith, piety, and culture throughout all times.

Lex Vivendi: We live an apostolate of faith, service, and scholarship. We strive for holiness in forms that correspond to our three great moral duties toward God: to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him.

Fisher More’s curriculum is rooted in the Catholic scholastic and Thomistic tradition. Required texts include the works of Plato, Aristotle, St. Augustine, St. Thomas Aquinas, and many other great works of the Western intellectual tradition.  The program will produce graduates who are skilled in the arts of reading, writing, and thinking, who understand the purpose of life and the meaning of a vocation, and who possesses the will and character to live an excellent life.

Importantly, Fisher More is committed to providing Catholic education that is affordable for large families.  It doesn’t participate in any government or private student loan programs.  For full-time students living on campus, the cost of attending the residential College for the 2013-2014 school year is $5,000 per semester, $10,000 per year.  This amount is all inclusive of tuition, room, meals, and fees.  Those familiar with the prices of the old-line Catholic universities will recognize the bargain at Fisher More.  It is even less expensive than most tax supported state universities.

We recently mailed our first-ever national fundraising letter, we call it our Rogatio Letter which has been distributed to over 10,000 people devoted to the Traditional Latin Mass. The letter was written on Thursday, August 22, 2013, the glorious feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. On that same day, the College was consecrated to Our Lady’s Immaculate Heart. I invite you to click on the following link to visit our website and read our Rogatio Letter in its entirety.

Also, to read a collection of statements that describe the College’s apostolate and answers important questions, please click here:Statement of the Apostolate

Fisher More needs the support of Traditional Catholics in the U.S. and abroad in order to achieve its mission.  We hope you will consider actively supporting the advancement of the College and help promote awareness of this Catholic endeavor.

For more information or to join our mailing list to receive future communications from us, please contact:

Jason Fabaz
Director of Development and Institutional Advancement
______________________
Rorate note: Please know that Taylor Marshall is no longer employed at Fisher More College after the two sides mutually agreed to part ways in June 2013.

Written by

12 Comments to “Introducing Fisher More College: A Truly Traditional Catholic Education”

1. gpmtrad says:

It looks promising.

However, and this may just be my own faulty memory, but I recall within the past year or two that there was some sort of online Trad controversy about this college. I may have that wrong, but I have a Trad friend who is looking into it for his daughter(s) and I would appreciate if anyone on AQ who has some hard knowledge of the matter might post it.

Thank you very much!

2. Tim says:

I received this very encouraging response today. Also, the president, Michael King, spoke to me in person in July. I was concerned about a potential “anti-SSPX” atmoshere on campus. He assured me that that was not the case, and in fact, there are SSPX students attending Fisher More. He also told me that he himself attends SSPX Masses sometimes in his travels.

JMJ

Tim,

I agree with everything you said, we are making efforts to get rid of mention of the new catechism in the Academy…I can assure you the new catechism is not used at all in Fisher More College and all College professors would have the same concerns that you voiced below and they each took the Oath Against Modernism earlier this week.

When we purchased Regina Caeli Academy and renamed it Fisher More Academy, there were still some curriculum holdovers, we have replaced the new catechism, which used to be the main religion textbook for High School Religion, with Fr. Laux’s series: www.fishermoreacademy.org/theology-textbook-high-school/ but there is still mention of the new catechism in the recommended reference section…I share your concern and I will see what I can do about it…we are trying to be as prudent as possible, but we understand this is an important issue.

Please give me a call if you would like to speak about this or anything else, I would consider it an honor to get to know you more.

May our Good God, through the intercession of Sts. John Fisher & Thomas More continue to bless you and your family!

Best regards,

Jason

Jason Fabaz
    Director of Development & Institutional Advancement
    The College of Sts. John Fisher & Thomas More
    (Fisher More College)
    Ph. 817-653-2020
    801 W. Shaw St.
    Fort Worth, TX 76110
    www.fishermore.edu/

AMDG

12 Things You Should Know About Fisher More College:

1. We are the only accredited 4-year Catholic college that proclaims fidelity to the Traditional Latin Mass as essential to achieving its mission and we have a full-time chaplain from the Priestly Fraternity of St. Peter (F.S.S.P.) in residence.

2. We strive to model for one another a genuine Catholic life following the Latin phrase that serves as Our Statement of Principles: Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi, Lex Vivendi (“as we pray, so we believe, so we live”).

3. Our work calendar is the liturgical calendar of the Church. Every day we attend Mass, pray the Rosary, sing the Angelus, chant the Divine Office, study, and dine together as a community.

4. We are led and staffed by committed traditional Catholics who have experience in business and higher education, including President Michael King, former Chair of the Business School at Benedictine College.

5. We are located in the heart of Fort Worth, Texas, one of America’s best large metropolitan areas with easy access to jobs, internships, an international airport, and beautiful weather year round.

6. We recently moved to our new campus, a beautiful edifice in the Gothic revival style built over 100 years ago by the Sisters of St. Mary of Namur as a boarding school, college, convent and provincial house.

7. We operate Fisher More Academy (grades 4 thru 12) which offers full-service, live, interactive online programs for students at home, in cooperatives, and in hybrid schools.

8. Enrollment in both Fisher More College and Fisher More Academy has more than doubled from last year as the College welcomes its largest freshman class and enrollment in the Academy exceeds 400 students.

9. We have outstanding professors in the College and instructors in the Academy, many of whom are published authors and international lecturers who could teach anywhere but have chosen Fisher More because they are deeply committed to our unique mission.

10. Each year our president and all faculty take the Oath Against Modernism (Pope Saint Pius X, 1910).

11. We are committed to enrolling and graduating students who have not been reduced to debt dependency, so we choose not to participate in the federal student loan program and not to facilitate private borrowing.

12. We are the home of Fisher More Chronicles, a center for publicizing activities of the College and Academy, and for promoting Catholic culture through new media, radio, publications, lectures, conferences, etc.

We have a plan to raise
    $1 million this year and
    $10 million over the next couple of years by getting the following people involved:

1000 donors @ $1000 = $1,000,000
    500 donors @ $5000 = $2,500,000
    100 donors @ $10,000 = $1,000,000
    20 donors @ $50,000, $100,000, $500,000, $1,000,000, etc. = $5,500,000

Can you please join us at one of these amounts?

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM, Tim wrote:

Dear Mr. Fabaz,
    We have been considering Fisher More Academy and College for our children and almost all that I have seen has been positive and encouraging. However, in the Academy’s course descriptions I came across the required religion text as being the CCC. I am troubled by this. This catechism is not purely traditional. There are better alternatives such as The Catechism of The Council of Trent and The Catechism of Pope St. Pius X. We have sacrificed much for our children to grow up free of the secular and Novus Ordo cultures and know that any crack in that wall could lead to ruin of their souls. My question is, why not use one of the traditional catechisms instead? The CCC is mostly truth, but there are small bits of modernist theology spread throughout. Some would say that that is not worth worrying about, but we disagree. Error creeps in through cracks and destroys souls slowly and gradually in the vast majority of cases. Why take the risk?
    I would appreciate your response. Thank you.
    God Bless,

Timothy & A

3. gpmtrad says:

Wow!

Thanks, Tim! My friend will be checking this thread later today and it was VERY kind of you to so promptly respond with highly useful and encouraging info.

I might apply myself and go back for four years to get all the stuff the jive Jebbies hid from me back in the 60s!

4. salus says:

Hearing great things about this college, i heard that they even axed a neo-con who didn’t want the college to be too traditional

5. gpmtrad says:

Dear NeelyAnn:

Your letter was an absolute delight to read and most encouraging.

It was terribly thoughtful of you to go to so much trouble. I have sent it on to my friend, already.

I am very grateful to everyone who answered my inquiry. My friend is a great, young NCO who is doing frontline work for Tradition now that he is back from Afghanistan. I am sure he will be most grateful for everyone’s help, as well.

Thank you again!

PS: I can receive but not send PMs, NeelyAnn. ( Which sorta describes my fiscal policy in life, too. )

• NeelyAnn says:

GPM,

You are quite welcome. I hope your friend will be able to visit the school soon. That is the best way yo get a feel for it. I think he will be impressed. My husband and I are no push overs. We were struggling with the whole issue of what to do for college and we were not happy with any of the options available – we did not want a state school, we were not pleased with the various number of small, ‘conservative’ Catholic alternatives. We started watching FMC about a year before we needed it and my husband went to visit earlier this year. We were pretty much sold after his visit. We continued to watch the developments there and we have been very happy with their progression.

6. canis ovibus says:

I will know it is a good thing as soon as it is attacked. Remember, Satan never bothers with anything that doesn’t threaten his position first. All good is put to the test to see if it will endure. So, expect this good to have some up and coming scandal and rejoice that it passed the test when that scandal comes but pray them out of it as well.

PS I hope they have some correspondence or on line studies. My library will never be big enough if you know what I mean :)

some good news for a change. thx for the post.

In Xto
    sheepdog.

• NeelyAnn says:

canis ovibus,

FMC has already dealt with their fair share of issues. Each time, they deal with it quietly and have tried to handle it as charitable as possible. They are well aware that a mission such as theirs will bring attacks from Satan. They ask for prayers above all that they always be able to handle whatever may come their way and that they always remain focused on their mission.

They do offer online classes for homeschoolers through Fisher More Academy which also allows for dual enrollment / college credits for those in the high school grades.

In addition, Fisher More College also offers online classes for those unable to attend class on campus.

They also have monthly talks and some of those can sometimes be found online.

Perhaps when they really get their radio program off the ground, these talks will be more readily available online.

7. oremusmanhattan says:

Can anybody elaborate on Taylor Marshall and his departure from FMC?

8. gpmtrad says:

Oremus, I did a quick search on the name and came up with an ex-Anglican who blogs in the Nervous Ordeal style.

Those actually familiar with the issue may easily correct me but my guess is that the apparently serious efforts to form FMC in a truly Traditional mode probably had much to do with the parting of the ways.